Emerald Insight: platform update tracker
In July 2019 Emerald launched a completely new digital research platform
Designed to make social sciences research easy and enjoyable to discover, the new platform has been built from the ground up in collaboration with leading international academic institutions to ensure that every decision is carefully considered and validated by our users.
The forward-thinking design offers an engaging and rewarding user experience; showcasing researchers’ work, paving the way for rapid evolution and meeting future research needs.
What did we deliver at launch?
Full content availability on the new platform
- Access entitlements will not be affected by the transition to the new platform
- All Emerald content has been loaded onto the new platform, which includes over 300 journals, 3,000 books, 1,700 case studies and a growing collection of open access content
- Case study teaching notes are available on request from customer support: [email protected]
Seamless authentication and discovery
- Institutional accounts and their associated content licenses, authentication details (IP ranges, referring URLs, Shibboleth and OpenAthens) and Open URL Link Resolver links have been migrated
- There are multiple levels of redirect in place for domains, publications and DOI to ensure uninterrupted access
- Emerald continues to support the major authentication methods including IP, Shibboleth, Open Athens, Referring URL and EZ Proxy
- Indexed in all major discovery systems including Primo, Summon, OCLC and EBSCO
- The URL provided in the existing MARC records and KBART files will continue to work by implementing redirects – MARC records will continue to be available to download here.
Intuitive search, delivering accurate results
- The new platform was built using MarkLogic’s powerful search technology to deliver faster and more accurate search functionality. Recent improvements have seen completion of some test searches reducing from 12 seconds to less than 1
- Based on ‘Google-style’ grammar the advanced search algorithms will return the most relevant results from your search terms
- With full control of the platform, Emerald now has the ability to improve and adapt search functionality in line with user feedback
- Search results are immediately ordered by relevance, not content type – no need to perform a separate search for journal, book and case study content, although the user can filter content type once a search has been performed.
Predictable navigation and simple interface
Entirely based on user feedback, we have already implemented a number of enhancements to site navigation to increase usability of the platform, including:
- A persistent search and page navigation box to appear at the top of the screen to increase user productivity
- Improved visibility of search results with the use of content type indicators and the inclusion of partial abstract information to help users select the right content
- ‘Content format’ icon, a prominent ‘sort by’ option, open access filter and date limitations aid simple navigation around the content
- A cleaner interface with new borders and colour scheme improves the whole experience for users.
Access for everyone, everywhere
- The platform continues to be W3C AA and US section 501 compliant
- Emerald Insight has been optimised to work on both desktop and mobile devices. Built using responsive technologies, the platform automatically adapts depending on the device that it is opened on.
Track our progress with development highlights by month
New platform feature – ‘Explore Our Content’
- A new ‘Explore Our Content’ drop-down on the top navigation bar allowing users to browse content by journals, books, case studies, Expert Briefings and Open Access.
Enhanced navigation and discovery for journal Special Issues
- Changes to the journal homepages, for improved special issue visibility and details.
Free access to over 50,000 content items
- An archive of over 50,000 pieces of non-article content such as editorials, reviews, interviews and news items are now freely available without subscription.
COUNTER 5 (August) and COUNTER 4 two year archive
- COUNTER 5 data for August 2019
- 2 years' archive of COUNTER 4 compliant statistics dating from January 2017-March 2019
Direct access to eCases teaching notes
This allows customers to request direct access to teaching notes via the platform.
A new Case Studies Homepage on www.emerald.com/insight
Currently accessed via a separate URL: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/case-studies
Through this page, users can browse content from Emerald’s case collections: Emerging Markets Case Studies and The CASE Journal. In addition, the page will also provide quick access to all content from our global publishing partners. Subscribers to the eCase Collection will benefit from having all content available in one place.
The updating of our DOIs with CrossRef has led to an improvement in our metadata and therefore improved discoverability of content for end users helping them surface the content they want. This development also allows us to update the metadata held by CrossRef much more easily.
Reprints and permissions
The ‘reprints and permissions’ button has been added to the search results page allowing users to easily and quickly request permission to reuse the content.
COUNTER 5 usage data portal
- A new usage portal that captures COUNTER 5 data for www.emerald.com/insight. Powered by LibLynx, the portal is access via this link: https://connect.liblynx.com
- The new portal currently includes COUNTER 5 data for January to July 2019.
- Consortia reports: by selecting the ‘bulk download’ feature, individual institution reports will be combined in one zip file. Alternatively, administrators can access consortia reports via SUSHI.
- For step-by-step instructions on accessing usage reports, take a look at our simple guide created for library administrators.
Profiles give users control over their Emerald Insight access. Users can create and save searches to be run at a future date. Profiles also allow the use of an Organisation Access Number (OAN) for off-campus access. A user guide to help create a profile can be found here.
Organisation Access Numbers (OAN)
Organisation Access Numbers (OAN) allow users to be authenticated off-site with the use of a passcode/ unique number associated with an institution that can be linked to a personal profile providing an authentication option when out of an IP range. This development allows us to provide a cost-free off-campus access solution.
Advanced search capabilities
The first version of advanced search allows users to build complex searches and drill into their search by title, author, abstract, etc. Adding additional search terms and building a complex boolean search including limiting search to specific content types and data ranges ensures users can surface the most relevant results. There are tool tips available and the ability to refine their search further from their initial results.
An EarlyCite tab has been created in the publication page, allowing users to quickly see all the content that is available via EarlyCite. This provides researchers with the ability to easily keep abreast of the most recent research within their field.
All content is archived by LOCKSS/CLOCKSS; this ensures the digital preservation of all Emerald content for our customers.
Post-launch user feedback
Immediately after launch, the priority for the development team was to ensure the platform remained stable. It was also important that we captured initial user feedback and reacted quickly to any problems; prioritising anything linked to access and authentication.
Users can download citations directly from the platform to be loaded into their citation management tool.
The team of developers will continue to take direction from feedback we receive from our users. Just to give you an insight into the areas of development currently in progress:
- We are working on adding new content to the platform in the form of Expert Briefings.
- We are continuously improving the search and will be implementing additional search options such as search for publication titles.
- Building on the ‘eCases homepage’, there will be dedicated homepage for journal, book and open access content, each including browse functionality
- A librarian admin portal, which will include the ability to view institutional information, authentication and following this, the ability to obtain COUNTER reports
- Enhancements to the profile area with additional personalisation features.
We're listening – tell us what you think
Keep sharing your experience of using the site so it can be developed to meet the needs of you and your library users. We can’t do this without you!
If you have any dedicated feedback, please feel free to get in touch.
Members of Emerald’s Library Advisory Network can start or join a discussion here.