Publish a book or series
Follow our easy guide to writing or editing a book or book series and find the right resources to support you. Our book publishing infographic will help you understand each step, from proposal to publication.
Understand the publishing process
From proposal to publication, learn about the publishing process with Emerald with our helpful infographic. Download and keep your step-by-step guide (PDF).
Publishing your book
1. Submit proposal: Complete the Emerald new book proposal form and send it to the editor for your discipline. Your editor will acknowledge safe receipt as quickly as possible.
2. Internal editorial review: Your editor assesses your book’s ‘ft’ for our publishing list and raises questions or queries with you.
3. External peer review: Your proposal and any additional material will be sent out to a subject specialist for external, single blind peer review – we aim to get feedback to you in 4–6 weeks.
4. Response to peer review: You send your editor a full response to the review. You may need to revise and resubmit your proposal based on our peer review and discussions with your editor.
5. Contract: After approval by our internal Editorial Board meeting, your Editor will send you terms of our contract including extent, royalty and manuscript delivery date.
6. Writing your book: You will be contacted regularly by our editorial team and we will be on hand for guidance and support as you prepare the manuscript for submission.
7. Manuscript submission: Your editor may commission a final review of your manuscript before we put it into production. Our editorial team will then check through your final manuscript. From proposal to publication
8. Production: Your book will go through copy editing, typesetting and indexing. You will be issued proofs. Your cover design will be fnalized. We will publish your book 6 months, or on a fast-track schedule if your book is an Emerald Point.
9. Sales and marketing: When your book enters production our marketing and sales team start work to promote your book through our sales channels, and to support you with self- promotion.
10. Publication: You will be sent your free copies of your book, and additional information on how you can best help us promote it to the widest possible market. emeraldgrouppublishing.com
Resources on book publishing for early career researchers
If you’re an early career researcher (ECR) thinking about working on your first book project, you might be in interested in our Emerald Engage platform. Emerald Engage is our online community developed specifically for those that are involved with research. It’s a closed global community where you can connect with others to discuss hot topics, share opinions, get information and resources, as well as getting invites to events.
What might be of specific interest to you is our recently launched ‘Let’s talk about' series aimed at early career researchers, which aims to equip ECRs with the tools and knowledge they need to get published. Recent instalments in this series have been videos on how to write a book proposal, and how to convert your PhD thesis into a book.
Get in touch with our publishing team to discuss how we can help your book-length research achieve real impact. Please note, we are not currently accepting unsolicited book manuscripts.