Real impact manifesto
Let's advance real impact together
Are you in?
Imagine if the entire research community committed to meaningful impact. Really committed, beyond just ‘words’. What difference could it make to our world? Could it end problems like poverty, hunger and inequality at a time when the gaps are widening and the need for action never more important? Yes, we believe it could, and that’s why three years ago we made real impact our goal.
Together with our partners, we are challenging simplistic and outdated approaches to research impact, driving impact literacy and helping our communities overcome barriers to impact. We’re progressing, but our biggest barrier to real impact is one of recognition. And it makes us wonder, does the academy really want change? And if so, how can we help?
We believe publishers are well placed to help the academy break links with old measures of impact and enjoy a fairer, more equitable environment for research to thrive. But we are just one voice. It’s going to take a collective effort to solve the challenges of social science research in a global context and deliver sectoral change.
Together, we must:
- Champion alternatives to traditional academic metrics and rewards
- Find new formats and channels to disseminate research to reach a wider audience
- Co-design services that help researchers and research managers develop healthy practice
- Highlight and reward examples of research that is driving real change
- Develop more equitable and accessible ways to publish research
- Build partnerships and networks, both informal and formal, which support researchers.
Chief Executive of Emerald Publishing