Our values and beliefs are important to us, and people are always at the heart of how we do things.
We're proud of where we've come from as well as where we're heading.
Discover more about what we do and join us in making a difference.
We celebrate individuality and the power of diversity.
We share ambition to always see the possible.
We act with purpose in everything we do.
Our curiosity leads to us challenging the status quo.
We build trust through acting with humility, kindness and respect.
We always pursue excellence and take pride in everything we do.
Diversity, inclusion & accessibility
We believe passionately in equitable representation, influence and opportunity for all; regardless of race, ethnicity, disability, gender, age or socioeconomic background. But the truth is that, within Emerald and our communities, we still have a long way to go. We must consistently invest our time and resources to ensure that our workplace is inclusive and accessible by design, and that we are playing our part in driving change within our communities.
Our action plan for diversity, inclusion, and accessibility is sponsored by the executive team and is driven by a network of employees across the business who are empowered to make sure that our strategy remains meaningful and relevant to our communities around the world.
Within Emerald, recent outputs of the action plan include:
- A review of our hiring practices, performance management and rewards structure in partnership with Inclusive Employers and Business in the Community.
- Investment in a new applicant tracking system to improve our data sets and allow us to take targeted action where necessary.
- Learning and development programmes that give colleagues the skills they need to champion inclusivity for themselves and others.
- Closer alignment between our action plan and performance objectives across the business.
Within our communities we:
- Leverage our commitment as a founder signatory to the UN Sustainable Development Goals Publishers Compact to consistently challenge under-representation within academic publishing.
- Work with cross-industry groups to improve data points and agree the standards that will help drive progress.
- Commit to ensuring our products and technologies are as inclusive and accessible as possible and constantly seek feedback on ways to improve.
The physical and mental wellbeing of our employees is something we take seriously as a business, and we recognise the changing needs of our workforce as we move to more hybrid ways of working.
We are committed to breaking down barriers, removing stigmas and encouraging the conversation around mental health; examples of which are sharing stories as part of our 'Let's talk about' campaign and our dedicated Wellbeing Days.
We also provide vital resources such as Mental Health First Aiders, an Employee Assistance programme and a safe space to talk for all of our employees.
Learning & development
Our people are at the heart of who we are and what makes us different, and as an organisation which has its roots in knowledge and learning, we are committed to supporting our people to develop both personally and professionally.
Continuous improvement is at the core of our business, which translates into wanting our people to be curious; to listen, learn and challenge the status quo, and to strive to be their very best.
We believe in the art of the possible and have an endless appetite for learning, providing development opportunities through our internal and external programmes, alongside coaching, mentoring and secondments.