Revising the REF deadline
Research Excellence Framework 2021 and Covid-19
In March 2020, amid the global coronavirus pandemic, Research England made the decision to put their regular research evaluation exercise – the Research Excellence Framework (REF) – on hold until further notice.
We join Mark Taylor (National Institute for Health Research) and Chris Hewson (University of York, UK) to ask what this means for the research landscape.
Mark Taylor, Head of Impact Connecting Capability Fund (CCF), National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). The NIHR is UK’s largest funder of health and care research.
Chris Hewson, Social Sciences Faculty Research Impact Manager, University of York, UK.
In this episode:
- Why did Research England take the decision to delay REF 2021?
- What is the emotional effect on staff of a delay to such a big piece of work?
- What will the impact on institutions be? Might it affect some more than others?
- How will the delay affect research funding?
- Are there lessons to be learned during this pause about the future of research evaluation?