Towards Large-scale Industry-wide Physical Internet Deployment
Call for papers for: Industrial Management & Data Systems
Xiang T.R. Kong
Overview of Special Issue
Innovations in digital technologies (DT) influence the development of new paradigms, principles, and models in PI. Everything in the future physical world would be replicated in the digital space through advanced techniques, and across various industrial sectors, including aerospace, electric power, automotive, manufacturing, healthcare and medicine, logistics and supply chain, etc (Kong et al. 2018). Moreover, with the rapid development of ecommerce in China and advance of DT technologies, industry has already exploited the low hanging fruits based on the prototype of PI logistics networks. As a typical example, CAINIAO and JD Logistics have dealt with over 400 million parcels based on an open large-scale asset-shared service network in Single Day 2018 (CNBC 2018). The large amounts of data that result from online ecommerce and offline handlings can be mined, modelled and analysed (Xhafa, 2016). It is hence critical to develop interdisciplinary researches that addresses the large-scale industry-wide PI applications and deployments for major original theories building. This Special Issue addresses this void by specifically encouraging research that provides insight into Physical Internet deployment in real-life industrial frontiers.
Indicative List of Anticipated Themes
We welcome submissions to this special issue. Topics covered include (but are not limited to):
• Interplay between innovative digital technologies and physical internet deployment using Internet of Things, Blockchain, Big Data, Industry 4.0, 5G technology and etc.;
• Potentialities and uses of data-driven systems and mechanism to improve Physical Internet performance;
• Impact of Digital Twin-enabled simulation and optimization on Physical Internet deployment;
• Sustainable Physical Internet;
• PI-enabled hyperconnected manufacturing;
• PI-enabled hyperconnected omnichannel supply chain;
• Application of artificial intelligence and machine learning in Physical Internet deployment;
• Economic and statistical contributions that are relevant to Physical Internet deployment;
• Case study of large-scale industry-wide physical internet;
Deadline and Submission Details
Submissions open on 10 May 2021.
The submission deadline for all papers is 30 September 2021.
To submit your research, please visit ScholarOne manuscripts portal.
Author guidelines are available at https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/journal/imds#author-guidelines