Publishing with Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning
Why publish with Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning?
HESWBL is the only to journal to focus on the interface between higher education and the workplace. Covering higher level skills, higher level work-based and work integrated learning and higher education, the journal publishes articles with strong impact implications for practice and policy development. Providing broad international coverage of issues, developments and innovation, the journal showcases work around employer engagement, work integrated learning, co-operative education, graduate employability, occupational competence, academic and professional standards and workforce development. HESWBL is the official journal of UVAC, a higher education interest group that has been championing the value of vocational education for over twenty years and degree apprenticeships since their introduction in England in 2015.
Useful facts and figures:
- In 2021 HESWBL published 77 articles authored by experts from practice and academia around the world
- The journal enjoyed over 31,000 downloads in 2021 from across the globe
- HESWBL is ranked in Scopus (2020 Citescore 1.7), the Australian Business Deans Council, BFI (Denmark) and by the Chartered Association of Business Schools. It is also listed in Clarivate’s Emerging Sources Citation Index
- The top 5 countries by downloads are: United Kingdom, Australia, Malaysia, China and USA
- 865% increase in downloads from 2016
- 1783% increase in citations from 2016
What types of articles does HESWBL publish?
HESWBL publishes a wide range of article types including: Research Papers; Viewpoints; Technical Papers; Conceptual Papers; Case Studies; Literature Reviews; and Practitioner Papers. Articles are typically between 5000 and 7000 words in length.
What can you expect as an Emerald author?
- Emerald makes the following promises to its community of over 130,000 practitioner and academic authors:
- 3 months' access to all Emerald journals with max 40 downloads
- Provision of author proofs prior to publication in print and online
- To disseminate your work as quickly as possible: EarlyCite, Emerald's online, pre-publication service enables customers to access and cite journal articles prior to official publication
- To host and promote a video abstract of your work if you provide us with one
- To ensure that your work has all the necessary metadata to ensure it can be easily discovered by all relevant search engines, including Google Scholar
- To protect the scholarly integrity of your work by assuring that the definitive and citable version is permanently accessible: we work with organizations such as LOCKSS and Portico, use CrossRef's DOI system, and deposit your work, as required, in any national archive deriving from the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003
- A huge range of services and resources to help your academic and professional development and help you increase dissemination of your work
- An efficient and transparent submission system: ScholarOne Manuscripts™ allowing you to track your journal paper through the peer-review process
- To allow easy, accurate citation of your work: anyone can import Emerald articles straight into EndNote and Reference Manager, and the RefWorks online service
- Prompt notification of publication details: we will confirm online publication of your article within five working days
- Updates from Emerald regarding key changes to the availability, downloads or citations of your work
- Updates on innovations and developments both at Emerald and throughout the publishing world that affect how your work can be disseminated
Publish with us! Visit the journal webpage for more information and to access the Author Guidelines.