Dear Members of the AAAJ community,
We hope that 2022 will hopefully be a better year for all of us although in our ‘covid-world’ that remains an uncertainty.
This is an update on AAAJ special issues
In recent years, the notion of a thematic “special issue” of AAAJ took two forms. In addition to our longstanding tradition of publishing special issues, for a period of time we published some “special sections” that featured 4-6 articles on a designated theme to be published along with other papers as part of a regular issue of AAAJ. However we have now discontinued these since Emerald publishing policy does not specifically identify such “special sections” in the an issue’s “Table of Contents” on the AAAJ website.
In addition, where a special issue is published that does not fill an issue’s total contents, that issue is also not identified as a special issue in the AAAJ website “Table of Contents”.
Consequently, for your information, we are providing this update of Special Issues and past Special Sections for the recent years 2017-20221.
Published in 2021
- Vol. 34, No. 3, 2021 Neoliberalism and Management Accounting. Guest Edited by Danture Wickramasinghe, Christine Cooper and Chandana Alawattage
- Vol. 34, No. 5, 2021 Incorporating Context into Social and Environmental Accounting (SEA) in Developing Countries. Guest Edited by Wei Qian, Carol Tilt and Ataur Belal
- Vol. 34, No. 6, 2021 Accounting, management, and accountability in times of crisis: A Covid-19 perspective. Guest Edited by Giulia Leoni, Stephen Brammer, Alessandro Lai, Riccardo Stacchezzini and Ileana Steccolini
- Vol. 34, No. 7, 2021 Accounting for Public Services: Reconsidering Publicness in Accounting Research and Practice. Guest Edited by Ileana Steccolini, Enrico Bracci, Iris Saliterer and Maria Francesca Sicilia
Published in 2020
- Vol. 33 No. 3, 2020 includes contributions and commentary on the topic of Critical Realism
- Vol 33, No. 4, 2020 Problematizing profit and profitability. Problematizing profit and profitability. Guest edited by Alan Lowe, Yesh Nama and Alexandru Preda
- Vol. 33, No. 6, 2020 Measurement and Assessment of Accounting Research, Impact and Engagement. Guest Edited by Brendan O’Connell, Gloria Agyemang, Paul Delange and Ann Sardesai
- Vol. 33, No. 7, 2020 Accounting for modern slavery, employees and work conditions in business. Guest Edited by Katherine Christ, Roger Burritt and Stefan Schaltegger
Published in 2019
- Vol. 32, No. 8, 2019 includes contributions on the theme AAAJ and research innovation - the next decade 1998 to 2007, guest edited by Garry Carnegie. (This follows the first special issue of the genre involving special issues on the theme “AAAJ and research innovation”, also guest edited by Carnegie).
- Vol. 32, No. 7, 2019 includes contributions on the theme Accounting and the business of sport: Playing the numbers game, guest edited by Paul Andon and Clinton Free and contributions on the theme Accounting for (in) equitable organisations and societies, guest edited by Dale Tweedie and James Hazelton.
- Vol. 32, No. 3, 2019 includes contributions on the theme Accountability and performance challenges in knowledge intensive public organisations, guest edited by Giuseppe Grossi, Kirsi-Mari Kallio, Massimo Sargiacomo and Matti Skoog. Its introductory contribution to this theme was published in Vol. 33, No. 1, 2020.
- Vol. 32, No. 1, 2019 includes three further papers related to the special issue originally published in Vol. 30, No. 6, 2017 on the theme Accounting, auditing and accountability research in Africa, guest edited by Robert Nyamori, Abu Shiraz Abdul-Rahaman and Grant Samkin.
Published in 2018
- Vol. 31 No. 7, 2018 is designated as a special issue on the theme Language and translation in accounting: Addressing the “deafening silence”, guest edited by Lisa Evans and Rania Kamla.
- Vol. 31, No. 5, 2018 includes contributions on the theme Case study insights from the implementation of integrated reporting, guest edited by Leonardo Rinaldi, Jeffrey Unerman and Charl de Villiers.
- Vol. 31, No. 4, 2018 includes contributions on the theme Doings of practitioners: Public sector accountants in the 21st Century, guest edited by Mark Christensen, Dorothea Greiling and Johan Christiaens.
- Vol. 31 No. 3, 2018 includes contributions on the theme Extinction accounting and accountability, guest edited by Jill Atkins and Warren Maroun.
Published in 2017
- Vol. 30, No. 7, 2017 is designated as a special issue on the theme Ecological accounts: Making non-human worlds (in)visible during moments of socio-ecological transformation, guest edited by Shona Russell, Markus Milne and Colin Dey.
- Vol. 30, No. 6, 2017 is designated as a special issue on the theme Accounting, auditing and accountability research in Africa, guest edited by Robert Nyamori, Abu Shiraz Abdul-Rahaman and Grant Samkin. Three further papers, related to this theme, have been published in Vol. 32 No. 1, 2019.
- Vol. 30, No. 4, 2017 includes contributions on the theme Accounting, accountability, social media and big data: Revolution or hype, guest edited by Michela Arnaboldi, Cristiano Busco, and Suresh Cuganesan.
James and Lee
Editors, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal