Special Issue: AI and IoT Applications for Smart and Sustainable Building Energy Efficiency
Due to the rapid development of various network technologies, our physical living environment is becoming more and more intelligent. In recent years, the pace of smart buildings has been accelerating. A smart building is one where all electronic systems work together to make the user experience more pleasant. Smart Building is the basic building block that will enable a true transformation of our cities through which one can have safe, sustainable, connected, and smart environments for the majority of the world's population as the buildings get smarter.
The global climate system is being affected by increased energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, most notably carbon dioxide. The building sector plays an important role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 55%, as it is the largest energy-consuming sector, accounting for more than one-third of global final energy consumption, and an equally important source of carbon dioxide emissions. In the coming years, we will need to transition from traditional energy systems to smart building solutions for a smarter, more sustainable world. To expedite the implementation of building energy retrofits, sustainability issues should be comprehensively addressed, as energy retrofits offer a multitude of possibilities and provide many social, economic, and environmental benefits. For example, implementing energy retrofits can significantly improve the health and well-being of residents.
There are three main areas where AI and IoT can be used to improve energy efficiency. The first is to monitor the actual energy usage in the building, which can be done using sensors or other devices connected to the network. The second area is predictive analytics, which means using data to predict when equipment will fail and perform preventive maintenance. The third area is demand response, which refers to how buildings respond to peak energy usage and help reduce overall electricity usage.
This special issue aims to provide an international forum for researchers to exchange the latest achievements in artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things and their various applications to address the main challenges facing smart buildings in terms of energy efficiency, and to welcome new ideas for smart buildings and AI or IoT solutions deployed in the future. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Recent developments of AI and IoT technology in smart building and smart environment
- Big data analysis for building and facility management
- AI privacy protection in smart buildings
- Smart energy storage solutions for buildings and cities
- The role of renewable energy in improving energy system efficiency
- Sustainable energy-efficient software and IoT applications
- Integrating smart buildings with the environment
- Novel techniques and methods for removing challenges in digitalization of energy systems at building
- Innovative approaches to novel digital technologies and AI applications aimed at future-proofing solutions related to clean energy transition, demand side management, smart controls and connected devices, and occupant health and comfort
- Smart sensors in smart building applications such as environment, occupancy detection and activity tracking, air quality, security and energy efficiency
- Application of new advanced building materials
Zhenling Liu (Corresponding Guest Editor)
Henan University of Technology, China
Anastasios Dounis, Department of Automation, University of West Attica, Greece
30 April 2023