Brand management in banking: new challenges and paradigms
Major changes in market conditions and marketing practices have affected bank brands both from an internal perspective (brand identity) and an external view (brand image). The reduction of branches within multichannel and omnichannel contexts, the growth of nontraditional lenders, the mergence of open banking models, scandals related to the commercialization of dubious financial products, growing interest in sustainable and socially responsible investments are examples of forces that are impacting the way that bank brands interact with consumers.
Research in brand management has been an important topic for the International Journal of Bank Marketing for the last decades. Scholars have proposed and tested different models to build banks’ brands, for instance as it relates to whether to use a single bncorporate brand name for all different businesses/ financial products or different names for each product / business. However, the dynamism of this industry means that these models need to be constantly revised and broadened to include new elements. Furthermore, banks need to define actions and strategies to align their employees' behaviours with the corporate brand image by communicating the brand’s values both internally and externally in the attempt to create distinctive brand assets.
In this context, further research is needed to advance the understanding of the increased complexity of branding banks and financial institutions in the new market environment and help bank managers in their brand management decisions. The main goal of this special issue is to assemble a set of high-quality studies dealing with cutting edge research in brand management in the banking industry.
List of topic areas:
Topics may come from any area of brand management in the banking industry, including, but not limited to:
- Defining brand values and brand identity in the current banking environment;
- Brand management in times of crisis and changes in market conditions;
- Brand strategies for new bank services; Brand management for digital currencies;
- Brand responsibility and sustainability;
- Brand management of non-traditional lenders (fintechs, investor-backed funds, etc.);
- Brand management in open banking/open finance; Inclusion as a brand value;
- Impact of new technologies in segmentation strategies and brand actions;
- Effects of microtargeting and personalization on brand outcomes;
- Positive and negative brand outcomes (attachment, engagement, love, hate, etc.) in banking;
- Management and results of ominichannel brand strategies in banking; Integration of customer values and brands through technology;
- Managing brand experience and promotion across the customer journey in banking services;
- Co-creation in banking services and brand experience;
- Co-branding and brand alliances in banking;
- Social media branding.
- Brand feelings and emotions, brand personality and anthropomorphism;
- Branding of private banking Internal brand management and employer branding in banking;
- Bank brands in an international context and cultural differences;
- Current KPIs of brand management in banking;
- New methodological approaches in brand research in banking
Rafael Bravo, Spain, [email protected]
José M. Pina, Spain, [email protected]
Francesca Dall’Olmo Riley, United Kingdom, [email protected]
Submissions are made using ScholarOne Manuscripts. Registration and access are available at: https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ijbm
Author guidelines must be strictly followed. Please see: https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/journal/ijbm#author-guidelines
Authors should select (from the drop-down menu) the special issue title at the appropriate step in the submission process, i.e. in response to ““Please select the issue you are submitting to”.
Submitted articles must not have been previously published, nor should they be under consideration for publication anywhere else, while under review for this journal.
Opening date for manuscripts submissions: 30/05/2022
Closing date for manuscripts submission: 30/11/2022