22nd CEEMAN Case Writing Competition in partnership with Emerald
The results are in
CEEMAN and Emerald are delighted to announce the winners of the 22nd Annual Case Writing Competition!
This is the tenth consecutive year in cooperation with Emerald Group Publishing. Based on the competition criteria, 54 cases were shortlisted for evaluation by the jury. A total of 68 original case studies were submitted by 141 authors and co-authors from 21 countries (Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and USA) across the globe.
The evaluation committee composed of professors Vladimir Nanut, MIB School of Management, Italy; Al Rosenbloom, Dominican University, USA; and Leif Sjoblom, IMD, Switzerland, deliberated over each case individually before deciding on a score for the case and teaching note separately.
The winning cases
The winners were as follows:
- 1st place: Zoona Mobile Money: Investing for Impact, by Mr. John Bazley, Ms. Cynthia Schweer Rayner and Mrs. Aunnie Patton Power from University of Cape Town, South Africa will share a money prize of €2,500, 100% scholarship for participation in one of CEEMAN faculty development programs, and a 12-month free subscription to an Emerald subject collection.
- 2nd place: Mio Amore: Surviving Brand Change in Transition Economy, by Dr. Nimruji Jammulamadaka, Prof. Prashant Mishra and Assoc. Prof. Biswatosh Saha, Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, India, will share a money prize of €1,000, 50% scholarship for participation in one of CEEMAN faculty development programs, and a 12-month free subscription to an Emerald subject collection.
- 3rd place: Trashy Bags: Sustainability Crisis of A Sustainable Business, by Prof. Mathew Tsamenyi and Ms. Nana Yaa Antwi-Gyamfi from China Europe International Business School and China Europe International Business School, Africa Campus in Ghana, will receive a money prize of €500, 30% scholarship for participation in one of CEEMAN faculty development programs, and a 12-month free subscription to an Emerald subject collection.
Mr John Bazley of the Graduate School of Business at the University of Cape Town and co-author of the winning case (Zoona Mobile Money: Investing for Impact) said: "Speaking on behalf of the team, it has been an absolute honour to have been considered alongside so many entrants across the globe. I feel a deep sense of gratitude for the award, but know that it would not have been possible without the contributions from my co-author Cynthia Schweer Rayner, adviser Aunnie Patton Power and Thomas Hellman for his mentorship."
Mr Bazley also spoke of his appreciation of the co-operation and openness of the protagonist company, Zoona: "We are most appreciative to Zoona for the time that they put into the case development, and the openness with which they approached the project, giving us all a chance to learn from their experience.
"The case was always going to be used by the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business and Oxford Said Business School as a part of the great work being done by the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, but knowing that it may be published by Emerald, and thereby gain a broader circulation, is really the biggest reward."
The following cases were also selected in the top 10 for the competition:
- 4th place: JD.com: Leveraging the Edge of E-Business, by Prof. Allan KK Chang, Mr. Long Zhao and Dr Caleb Huanyong Chen, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong and University of Alberta, Canada
- 5th place: With your Headphones on: Go Global or Stay Local?, by Asst. Prof. Mariola Ciszewska-Mlinaric, Asst. Prof. Aleksandra Wąsowska, Dr. Piotr Wójcik and Prof. Krzysztof Obłój, Kozminski University, Poland & Univerity of Warsaw, Poland
- 6th place: PRIRAZLOMNOYE, by Dr. Tomasz Olejniczak, Asst. Prof. Anna Pikos and Mr. Jonathan Sidor, Kozminski University, Poland
- 7th place: Upgrading Organizational Effectiveness and Management Professionalism: A Case Study of Pronadz Reka Bina Sdn. Bhd., by Dr. Nik Maheran Nik Muhammad and Dr. Filzah Md Isa, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, Malaysia and Taylors University, Malaysia
- 8th place: Sabli Food Industries: what next?, by Dr. Zainal Abidin Mohamed and Miss Nor Surilawani Sulaiman, Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia, Graduate School of Muamalat, Malaysia
- 9th place: 5FM: Youth Radio in the Digital Age, Prof. Russell Abratt, Ms. Justine Cullinan and Dr. Amanda Bowen, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- 10th place: Frequlicer - A Million Dollar Illusion or Reality, by Mr. Umer Hussain, Comsats Islamabad, Pakistan
The winners and selected other case studies will be considered for publication in the Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies collection, subject to successful double blind, peer review. All published case studies from the competition will be read by an international audience and applied in classrooms globally.
Congratulations to all of this year's prize winners! The winners will be presented their award at the upcoming 24th CEEMAN Annual Conference in Tallinn, Estonia on 28-30 September and you are invited to join the conference and Award Ceremony on 30 September. We hope your organization is willing to cover the cost of your travel and stay in Tallinn, considering your accomplishment.
Emerald Senior Publisher
Tel: +44 (0) 1274 785167
Maja Medja Vidic
CEEMAN Head of Operations
Tel: +386 4 57 92 507