5th Annual Conference - African Accounting and Finance Association
Conference call for papers from Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies
2nd to 4th SEPTEMBER, 2015
LE MERIDIEN HOTEL, BALACLAVA, MAURITIUS
The African Accounting and Finance Association (AAFA) Conference brings together established scholars, early career researchers, graduate students, policy makers, professional bodies and practitioners to debate on contemporary issues in accounting and finance. This is the AAFA’s flagship event and the 2015 conference, co-organized with the University of Mauritius, builds on successful conferences in Ghana (Accra, 2011), Abuja (Nigeria, 2012), Kampala (Uganda, 2013) and Cape Town (South Africa, 2014).
The conference invites conceptual, empirical research, and country case study presentations in all areas of accounting and finance, relating to Africa and/or beyond. Paper submissions and presentations must address both the theoretical and practical implications of the findings. Parallel tracks of refereed presentations will enable authors to obtain constructive feedback on their study and selected papers will be invited for consideration to special issue in affiliated journals. In addition to a high quality and enriching research experience, we will also provide delegates with the opportunity to explore the idyllic island of Mauritius. Finally, we are delighted to announce that the ACCA will be our lead partner and sponsor supporting the 2015 conference.
We are delighted to announce that our Keynote speaker for the conference will be Professor Haresh Sapra, Professor of Accounting from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. His research interests are disclosure regulation, real effects of disclosure policies and measurement rules, information transparency and corporate governance. He has published in top tier accounting journals such as the Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Economics and The Accounting Review. He is currently the advisory editor for Journal of Accounting Research and is a well-known public speaker on accounting and disclosure issues.
IFRS PLENARY WORKSHOP
AAFA is pleased to announce a workshop on IFRS teaching, jointly hosted by the IFRS Education Initiative and the International Association for Accounting Education and Research (IAAER). The session will be delivered by Mr Michael (Mike) Wells, who is the Director of the IFRS Education Initiative from the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB).
The international scientific committee welcomes papers on the following (but not limited to) topics, whether focused on African or other national / cross-national settings:
- Financial accounting and reporting
- Auditing and internal audit
- Financial management
- Management accounting and control
- Information systems and computer auditing
- Accounting education and training
- Corporate governance
- Accounting history
- Public sector and non-profit accounting
- Sustainability accounting and/or reporting
- Social and environmental accounting
- Corporate finance
- International finance and financial markets
- Corporate social responsibility
- Regulation of accounting and financial services
- SME accounting and finance
SUBMISSION OF MANUSCRIPTS
The conference invites abstract submission (Max 500 words)/full papers from researchers and practitioners in the field of accounting and finance on. All abstracts should be formatted to facilitate the review process. Author's names and details, including names of all co-authors plus affiliations and addresses for general correspondence (including email address) of each author, and a brief personal profile (maximum 100 words) of the presenter, should appear on a separate cover page .In submitting an abstract, at least one author undertakes to attend the conference if the final paper is accepted. In addition, one author should not have more than two submissions, either a single or a co-author. All submissions should be forwarded via email (as a word.doc attachment) at [email protected] and copied to [email protected] with subject line as ‘AAFA 2015 Paper Submission’. Researchers are encouraged to register upon acceptance of their abstract.
Authors of accepted abstracts will need to submit the completed paper by 15th June 2015 for peer review and if accepted, inclusion in the Conference proceedings. Papers should be prepared on the basis of the formatting guidelines of the Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies (JAEE) which can be found at: http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=jaee. JAEE is ranked 2* in the 2015 Association of Business Schools list.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
1. Deadline for submission of abstracts (500 words): 20th April 2015*
2. Notification of acceptance of abstract: by 30th April 2015
3. Deadline for submission of full papers: 15th June 2015
4. Notification of acceptance of paper: by 30th June 2015
5. Final formatting and revised (based on referee comments) paper due: 20thJuly 2015
6. Deadline for early bird registration and payment: 31st July 2015
7. Deadline for final online registration and payment: 19th August 2015 (thereafter registration on site)
* Full papers can also be submitted at this stage.
EMERGING SCHOLARS COLLOQUIUM
The AAFA 2015 Annual Emerging Scholars Colloquium will take place on the 1st of September, 2015 at the University of Mauritius. The purpose of the colloquium is to bring young researchers (Doctoral and MPhil Students) together to present their work-in-progress and receive feedback from leading researchers in the field and to network with their peers. The deadline for submission of manuscripts or abstracts (subject to the current stage of the PhD/M.Phil) for this session is 15th June, 2015, with a subject line stating ‘AAFA 2015 Emerging Scholar Submission’
ACCOUNTING IN FRANCOPHONE AFRICA / COMPTABILITE EN AFRIQUE FRANCOPHONE
There will be a special track of Accounting in Francophone Africa. Papers for this track should be submitted in English or French electronically to [email protected] and copied to Philippe Lassou and Heri Rakotovololona at: [email protected] and [email protected] with subject line as ‘AAFA 2015 Francophone Submission’. Please note the 20th April 2015 & 15th June, 2015 deadlines apply for the submission of abstract and papers respectively.
We have a number of high profile supporting journals including:
• Journal of Accounting In Emerging Economies (JAEE)
• Research In Accounting In Emerging Economies (RAEE)
• Accounting, Auditing And Accountability Journal (AAAJ)
• Managerial Finance Journal
• Journal Of Financial Regulation And Compliance
• Journal Of Money Laundering Control
• International Journal On Governmental Financial Management
SPECIAL ISSUE OF JOURNAL OF ACCOUNTING IN EMERGING ECONOMIES (JAEE)
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit their work for consideration in The Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies (JAEE). All invited manuscripts for the special issue will be peer-reviewed through the normal 'blind' review process of the journal (ABS ranked 2*).
AWARDS & GRANTS
BEST PAPER AWARDS
Emerald Publishing will be sponsoring the two best paper awards in accounting and finance.
THE UNIVERSITY OF MAURITIUS ANNOUNCES A COMPETITIVE ACADEMIC CONFERENCE AWARD
We are delighted to announce a new initiative by the University of Mauritius to build access to accounting and finance research networks in Africa. The value of the award is up to a maximum of US$2,000 to cover the flight(s), local transport, accommodation, and conference-related expenses. We are now inviting full paper submissions for this competitive award.
• Eligibility: The main author and presenter of any submission must be based in an African higher education institution, whose country is classified as a “low-income” economy as per the World Bank (http://data.worldbank.org/income-level/LIC).
• Output: Award recipient(s) will be required to present their paper during the 2015 AAFA annual conference. Where necessary, mentors will be appointed to guide authors in developing the research to a standard publishable in a high quality international journal.
• Submission guidelines: Papers should follow the JAEE format. . The s author(s) should enclose their CVs (not exceeding two pages), a budget and a covering letter to support their application. Papers should demonstrate originality and potential for publication. Please email your paper
[email protected] and copied to [email protected]. The deadline for the submission of a full paper is 20th April, 2015, with subject line as ‘AAFA 2015 Conference Award Competition’.
MAKERERE UNIVERSITY BUSINESS SCHOOL (MUBS) COMPETITIVE RESEARCH GRANT AWARD
Makerere University Business School (MUBS) is delighted to continue its partnership to build accounting and finance research capacity and capability in Africa. The value of the award is US$5,000. We are now inviting proposals for this award.
• Eligibility: Though the award is open to all members of AAFA, the principal investigator of any proposal submitted must be based in an African institution.
• Output: Award recipients will be expected to present their results during the 2016 AAFA annual conference. Where necessary, mentors will be appointed to guide authors in developing the research to a standard publishable in a high quality international journal.
• Submission guidelines: Proposals, to be limited to five pages single-spaced (including references and appendices), should identify the research problems, questions, brief review of the literature, data and methods, timetable and budget. The author(s) should also enclose their CVs which should not exceed two pages. Proposals should demonstrate (i) clarity and originality (ii) sufficient information on data and methods to assess the potential for execution and potential for a contribution to the literature.
Please email your proposals to [email protected]. The deadline for submission of proposals is 31st May, 2015.
REGISTRATION AND FEES
The online registration and online payment system is now open. Please click on the registration link on the following page (http://sites.uom.ac.mu/aafa2015/index.php/registration-and-fee).
The conference fee is:
For Academics and Professionals outside Africa:
- Early bird (early bird by July 31st, 2015) = US$400
- Normal (after July 31st,2015) = US$450
- On-site registration = US$500
For Academics and Professionals based in Africa:
- Early bird (early bird by July 31st, 2015) = US$300
- Normal (after July 31st, 2015) = US$ 350
- On-site registration = US$400
- Early bird (early bird by July 31st, 2015) = US$200
- Normal (after July 31st, 2015) = US$250
- On-site registration = US$ 300
The conference fee will include annual membership dues, conference materials, lunches, coffee breaks, a welcome cocktail and the conference gala dinner. Delegates should make their own accommodation arrangements at Le Meridien Hotel where we have negotiated a special discount (http://sites.uom.ac.mu/aafa2015/index.php/venue). There are also a number of cheaper hotels around the conference venue. For information about some of these hotels, please visit our conference website at http://sites.uom.ac.mu/aafa2015/ . Other practical information (such as visa arrangements) will be provided on the website.
Furthermore, the national air carrier, Air Mauritius, is offering a 15% to 20% discount on published airfares. Air Mauritius will offer a special discount on economy and business class fares for the travel of the delegates and speakers to attend the AAFA2015 as per grid attached (http://sites.uom.ac.mu/aafa2015/images/discount_grid1.pdf). Please note:
• The discount is applicable on the fares exclusive of all taxes and surcharges
• These fares will be available from Air Mauritius offices only.
Delegates who wish to avail themselves of the above offer are requested to directly liaise with the airline’s nearest offices (http://www.airmauritius.com/contactus_gb.htm) or the Reservations Dept on +230 207 7575 or [email protected] for their bookings and modalities.
Professor Mathew Tsamenyi (China Europe International Business School, Chair AAFC/President AAFA)
Dr. Boopen Seetanah (University of Mauritius, Conference Co-Chair)
Dr. Teerooven Soobaroyen(University of Southampton, AAFA Executive Member, Conference Co-Chair)
Dr. Raja Vinesh Sannassee (University of Mauritius, Program Chair)
Mr. Mathew Lamport (University of Mauritius)
Mrs Neeveditah Pariag-Maraye (University of Mauritius)
Dr. Jay Matadeen (University of Mauritius)
Dr Philippe Lassou (University of Southampton)
Mr. Keshav Seetah (University of Mauritius)
Mrs Sheereen Fauzel (University of Mauritius)
Mrs Reena Bhattu-Babajee (University of Mauritius)
Ms Nana Yaa Antwi-Gyamfi (China Europe International Business School, Secretariat Manager AAFA).
COUNTRY / AAFA LIAISONS
Mr Mootooganagen Ramen (University of Mauritius)
Mr Ibrahim Bedi (University of Ghana, AAFA Treasurer)
Dr Venancio Tauringana (University of Bournemouth, AAFA Vice President International Relations)
Professor Jane Ande, (University of Jos, Nigeria, AAFA Vice President - Academic Development)
Lt Colonel Dandre C. van der Merwe (Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
Dr Josephat Mboya Kiweu (Strathmore University, Kenya)
Dr Stephen Nkundabanyanga (Makerere University, Uganda)
Dr Siasa Issa Mzenzi (University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
Mr Olayinka Moses (University of Jos, Nigeria)
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE
Professor Joshua Abor, University of Ghana, Ghana
Professor Lesley Stainbank, University of Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
Professor Emmanuel Emenyonu, Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, USA.
Professor Taufiq Choudhry, University of Southampton, UK
Professor Andrew Goddard, University of Southampton, UK
Professor Shahzad Uddin, University of Essex, UK
Professor Collins Ntim, University of Huddersfield, UK
Professor Christopher Napier, Royal Holloway, UK
Professor Kwaku Opong, University of Glasgow, UK
Professor Mike Page, University of Portsmouth, UK
Professor Himachalam Dasaraju, Reva University, India
Professor Donna Street, University of Dayton, Ohio, USA
Dr Kenneth Amaeshi, University of Edinburgh, UK.
Dr Kelum Jayasinghe, University of Essex, UK
Dr Jyoti Devi Mahadeo, University of Mauritius, Mauritius
Professor Lee Parker, RMIT University, Australia
Professor Trevor Hopper, University of Sussex, UK
Professor Alex Dontoh, New York University, USA
Professor Ernest Kitindi, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Dr Robert Ochoki Nyamori, La Trobe University, Australia
Mr Heri Rakotovololona, ESC Rennes, France
Professor Mike Jones, University of Bristol.
ORGANISERS AND CONTACTS
Mrs Neeveditah Pariag-Maraye
Department of Finance and Accounting
Faculty of Law and Management
University of Mauritius
Tel: +230 403 7400
Email: [email protected]
Ms Nana Yaa Antwi-Gyamfi
Secretariat Manager, African Accounting and Finance Association
c/o China Europe International Business School (CEIBS, Africa)
Email: [email protected]
OUR LEAD SPONSOR
1. The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) is our lead sponsor for the 2015 AAFA Conference
2. The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) supports the AAFA Conference
We gratefully acknowledge the support of CIMA’s General Charitable Trust
3. Emerald Publishing
4. International Association for Accounting Education and Research