Table of Contents
- Emerald's promises to you as an author
- Copyright principles and your rights
- Quality and impact
- How to publish with us
Emerald is a global publisher linking research and practice to the benefit of society. The company manages a portfolio of more than 295 journals and over 2,350 books and book series volumes, as well as providing an extensive range of online products and additional customer resources and services.
At Emerald, our absolute commitment to quality extends throughout the service and supporting resources we provide. This is one of the main reasons our authors, editors and customers choose to work with us year after year.
“My compliments to you on the flawless execution of the publication process.”
John van de Pas, Senior Lecturer, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands.
1.1 What can you expect as an Emerald author?
Emerald makes the following promises to its community of over 130,000 authors:
- Journal author – three months' access to all Emerald journals with max 40 downloads (same access granted to journal reviewers).
- Book author – three months' access to all Emerald books with max 40 downloads (same access granted to book series reviewers). A complimentary copy of the book in which your work has been published.
- Case Study author – three months' access to the publication in which your case studies appeared, with max 10 downloads (same access granted to case study reviewers).
- Provision of author proofs prior to publication in print and online.
- To disseminate your work as quickly as possible: EarlyCite, Emerald's online, pre-publication service enables customers to access and cite journal articles prior to official publication.
- To host and promote a video abstract of your work if you provide us with one.
- To ensure that your work has all the necessary metadata to ensure it can be easily discovered by all relevant search engines, including Google Scholar.
- To protect the scholarly integrity of your work by assuring that the definitive and citable version is permanently accessible: we work with organizations such as LOCKSS and Portico, use CrossRef's DOI system, and deposit your work, as required, in any national archive deriving from the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003.
- A huge range of services and resources to help your academic and professional development and help you increase dissemination of your work
- An efficient and transparent submission system: ScholarOne Manuscripts™, as used by the majority of Emerald journals, allows you to track your journal paper through the peer-review process.
- To allow easy, accurate citation of your work: anyone can import Emerald articles straight into EndNote and Reference Manager, and the RefWorks online service.
- Prompt notification of publication details: we will confirm online publication of your article or chapter within five working days.
- Updates from Emerald regarding key changes to the availability, downloads or citations of your work.
- Updates on innovations and developments both at Emerald and throughout the publishing world that affect how your work can be disseminated.
- Your say in how we work as a publisher: all journal authors are asked to provide feedback and recommendations immediately following publication, and you will be updated annually on what changes we have made based on your recommendations.
To ensure that we are able to provide you with full service and meet all the above promises, please keep your contact details are up to date throughout the submission process.
1.2 The Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence
The Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence are awarded annually for the most outstanding papers published during the preceding year. They encourage editorial excellence and scholarship by public acknowledgement and reward of the effort, commitment to quality and high standards of the authors who publish with us.
“Receiving one of the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence ... validates my research and elevates my academic profile. Through awards and incentives, publications, partnerships and collaborations, Emerald continues to fulfil its mission by facilitating the global production and dissemination of research that focuses on issues of social significance.”
- Dr Ruth Rios-Morales, Deputy Director of Research & Lecturer in Finance and Statistics, University of Applied Sciences, Switzerland.
Where possible, Emerald seeks to obtain copyright for the material it publishes, without authors giving up their scholarly rights to reuse the work.
Assigning copyright to Emerald allows us to:
- Act on your behalf in instances such as copyright infringement or unauthorised copying
- Protect your moral rights in cases of plagiarism or unauthorised derivative works
- Offer a premium service for permission requests
- Invest in new platforms and services for the journals or book series you have published in
- Disseminate your work as widely as possible, ensuring your work receives the citations it deserves
- Recoup copyright fees from reproduction rights organizations to reinvest in new initiatives and author/user services, such as the
- Research Fund Awards and the Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards
3.1 Quality is at the heart of our business
The highest quality of double-blind peer-reviewed research is at the heart of what we do, working alongside some of the most prestigious contributors in their respective fields. Our commitment to quality and relevance is reflected by a growing network of more than 125,000 authors, editors and editorial board members, and nearly 5,000 customers in 130 countries worldwide.
As an example, our Management collection features almost 100,000 articles from over 200 titles. The collection continues to disseminate the latest thinking from authors at all of the Financial Times Top 100 business schools and forms an essential part of the research library at most of these institutions. Our specialist collections in fields such as Library Studies, Education, Engineering and Health and Social Care build on this strength; offering focussed international research in a range of subject fields.
With titles featured in Thomson Reuters (ISI), Scopus and other relevant ranking systems, and new articles and chapters continually added, our output combines to provide research communities with a full breadth and depth of understanding across a subject field.
3.2 Creating impact
Emerald’s philosophy has always been to help our communities create a meaningful impact; one that furthers the body of knowledge and supports teaching, contributes to advances in society and the environment, and influences government policy and business practice. Find out more.
With this aim, we provide a host of resources and services, including guidance on citations and rankings, as well as a range of other innovative tools to help disseminate research to a wider readership.
Whether you want to publish an article in a journal, a chapter in a book series, a case study, a new journal or a new book or book series, all the information you need to write for us is here.
To discuss any aspect of this Charter please contact:
Emerald Literati Network,
Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, United Kingdom
Telephone +44 (0)1274 777700
E-mail: [email protected]