International Perspectives on Teaching Excellence in Higher Education
Special issue call for papers from International Journal of Comparative Education and Development
Dr Feng Su, Liverpool Hope University, UK
Dr Margaret Wood, York St John University, UK
This special issue aims to explore teaching excellence from an international perspective, helping readers to understand broader conceptions and practice of teaching excellence as situated in contrasting geographical and policy contexts. Increasingly the marketisation of higher education and stakeholders' demands on and expectations of the value of higher education has led to increased interest in questions such as 'What makes an excellent lecturer?' and 'How can excellence in higher education be measured?'.
This special issue aims to view the concept of teaching excellence through conceptual, theoretical, policy and academic practice lenses.
Submissions may address the following themes:
- Critical perspectives on discourses of excellence and conceptions of teaching excellence in particular contexts
- Analysis of policies related to teaching excellence in higher education in particular contexts, e.g. whose teaching excellence agenda, and what are the drivers for the agenda?
- The relationship between teaching excellence and research excellence
- How does teaching excellence impact on academic identity?
- The possible effects of pursuing teaching excellence on the role and purpose of university in society
- How different stakeholders perceive and respond to the concept of teaching excellence
- How teaching excellence might be enacted in practice
- Teaching excellence and university admissions policies
Deadline of submission, timetable and authors' guidelines:
- First full article submission (6,000 - 8,000) words) to be submitted by 31st August 2018. Submissions must be made through the ScholarOne submission system - http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/ijced. Please make sure that you select the correct special issue title from the drop down menu on page 4 of the submission process.
- Final article submission deadline for revised/resubmitted articles - 30th November 2018
- Publication date: March 2019