8th July 2020
Are you interested in taking part in the discussion on how urbanisation can be used to achieve sustainable development? Take a look at how we are contributing to this important global debate and your different routes to publication.
Fact: 5 billion people will live in cities by 2030.
Your research today solves the sustainability problems of tomorrow… Let us help you reach your goals.
Interested in publishing your work? Get in touch!
As an award-winning independent publisher, we are committed to helping communities make decisions that count, based on research that matters. We are looking to build on the amount of meaningful research we support and publish in this field and would like to hear more about your current research, particularly if it covers one of our priority areas.
We have a number of routes to publication: journals, books, cases and our open access programme. Get in touch with publisher Gemma Hemming to discuss your options.
- Climate sustainability, climate adaptation and mitigation
- Conservation of urban heritage
- Disaster resilience of urban areas
- Environmental impact and energy efficiency
- Economic and social effects of urban living
- Governance and policies of cities
- Infrastructure and buildings
- Liveability, health and the urban environment
- Smart cities
- Sustainable transportation
- Urban planning and growth
- Urban regeneration, housing and gentrification
Latest research and calls for papers
Read our recent special issues on our content platform Emerald Insight.
- Archnet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research (ARCH): Borders, interfaces, and intersections in architecture and urbanism
- Disaster Prevention and Management (DPM): Securing future of heritage by reducing risks and building resilience
- International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation (IJBPA): Built Heritage Management: Energy & Society
- Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development (JCHMSD): Heritage and Waste Values
- Journal of Place Management and Development (JPMD): The contribution of events to destination revitalisation and competitiveness
- Smart and Sustainable Built Environment (SASBE): Smart and sustainable urban design
Take a look at our latest special issue calls for papers.
- Ecofeminism and Climate Change: Open Call for Papers – Ecofeminism and Climate Change
- Smart and Sustainable Built Environment: Integration of IoT with Building Information Modelling (IoT-BIM)
- Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management: Synergies between BIM and Lean Construction
- Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management: Evidencing the Productive Value of the 4IR in the AEC Sector
Listen to the discussion with the guest editors and some authors of a special issue from the Disaster Prevention and Management journal – 'The L'Aquila earthquake 10 years on (2009-2019): impacts and state-of-the-art’.
Is there still need – and perhaps now more than ever – to talk and reflect about the earthquake 10 years later?
Read our author blogs
Our authors share their experience in the field in our blog.
A Q&A with Emerald Open Research author David Ness We wanted to find out more about how Adjunct Professor David Ness of School of Natural and…
15th April 2020
This year the theme of the annual Healthy City Design International Congress, ‘Designing for utopia or dystopia? People and planetary health at a…
28th October 2019
As current projections indicate that the majority of the world’s future population will live in urban areas, cities play a central role in the…
24th October 2018
Professor David Proverbs, co-editor of International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation (IJBPA), has over ten years’ of experience as a…
22nd June 2018
Dr Charles Musselwhite is Associate Professor in Gerontology at the Centre for Innovative Ageing at Swansea University. He has a keen interest in…
2nd June 2018
Publish open access
Publish your work on Emerald Open Research, our open access platform that supports an open data policy and open peer review process.
The Sustainable Cities gateway addresses urban challenges such as unplanned urban sprawl and inadequate urban infrastructure, housing and services whilst also focusing on how to create resilient, sustainable, liveable cities for all.
Publish in a journal
Take a look at our journals publishing in this area. Can't find what you're looking for? Search our full journal list to find the right home for your research.
Visit our online bookstore to see all our latest publications.
Shaping Smart Mobility Futures: Governance and Policy Instruments in Times of Sustainability Transitions
Alexander Paulsson and Claus Hedegaard Sørensen
Urban Governance and Smart City Planning: Lessons from Singapore
Drones: the Brilliant, the Bad and the Beautiful
Ecologically-Compatible Urban Planning: Designing a Healthier Environment
Investigating Spatial Inequalities: Mobility, Housing and Employment in Scandinavia and South-East Europe
Peter Gladoić Håkansson and Helena Bohman
Smart Villages in the EU and Beyond
Anna Visvizi, Miltiadis D. Lytras and György Mudri