LatAm BALAS/Emerald case writing competition
We are inviting authors of all cases submitted to BALAS 2022 to submit their case to EMCS to be considered for this competition.
Cases submitted to the BALAS conference can then be submitted to Emerald’s Emerging Markets Case Studies Collection (EMCS) after the conference for a chance to win £500.
The aim of the competition is to encourage and promote the development of high-quality teaching case material relevant to Latin American business’ and promote the development of case-writing capabilities across Latin America.
Compulsory submission criteria
- This competition is in collaboration with BALAS and Emerald. Only cases submitted to the BALAS 2022 conference are eligible for this competition. EMCS is always open to new submissions that are not submitted as competition entries.
- Cases should have a developing and emerging markets focus
- All cases should be teaching cases based on a real situation in a real company, with a clear decision-making situation, and prepared in accordance with case writing guidelines provided in the instructional materials below.
- Academic (research) cases will not be accepted
- Case studies submitted should not have been published before in their current or substantially similar form, or be under consideration for publication in any ISSN/ ISBN-registered publication or with any other case-centre.
- Upon submissions to EMCS, all case studies must be accompanied by a consent to publish release form which has been completed and signed by the management of the company or individuals included in the case.
- Authors must be based at a Latin American business school.
- Please note, in order to be considered for the EMCS/BALAS best case competition, cases must be submitted to EMCS, and not be published or submitted elsewhere.
- Please see the EMCS author guidelines
Competition is now closed for 2022.
Though we are an international publisher, we must comply with all current economic sanctions within the United Kingdom. This may impact our ability to pay authors from restricted countries. Please know, however, that these submissions are still welcome and given all due consideration. If you are concerned about what this might mean for your submission should it go on to win the competition, please contact us.
2021 BALAS case writing competition winner
BALAS and Emerald are delighted to announce the winner of the 2021 competition. Congratulations!
Hidroituango Hydro: Colombia’s biggest infrastructure project at risk
Mateo Castano-Sierra, Universidad EAFIT (Escuela de Administración, Finanzas e Instituto Tecnológicoin), Columbia.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this case study competition, please contact our cases publisher Melissa Close using this form.