Open research at Emerald
Find out about our open access options, why open research is important, and the benefits you can gain from publishing open access.
We are passionate about helping authors tell their story in a meaningful and timely way. In doing so, we are committed to providing a leading service for open research, celebrating transparency and co-creation in a way that instils trust and confidence in our communities and global audiences worldwide.
For over 50 years our core purpose has been to champion fresh thinkers and help them make a difference so that little by little those in academia or in practice can unite to bring positive change in the real world. That’s why we are excited to offer a truly open service for all.
We're passionate about supporting all forms of open research
- We are the first publisher to partner with F1000 to create a truly open platform
- One of only a handful of publishers to offer green open access without an embargo period
- All journals offer a gold open access option
- We work with Access to Research to give free, walk-in access to all our published content in participating public libraries across the UK
- Provide the media with free access to content so that results can be widely shared
- Provide financial support to researchers in low-income countries to publish their work open access
- Our text and data mining policy allows researchers to text and data mine all our published content and freely share their outputs.
We actively participate in /partner with initiatives and organisations that share our desire to promote openness and drive change. These include:
- DORA (The Declaration on Research Assessment)
- All Emerald references are released openly via Crossref and are published under a Creative Commons Public Domain (CC0 1.0 Universal) licence
- Transparency and Openness Promotion (TOP) Guidelines, supported by the Center for Open Science
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- NISO’s ODI (Open Discovery Initiative)
- OAPEN – an online library of freely accessible academic books
- STM Voluntary Principles on Article Sharing
- OASPA (Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association)
- I40C (Initiative for Open Citations)
What is open research?
The definition varies, but generally refers to making the scholarly communication process more effective, transparent and collaborative.
There are many other outputs of the research cycle that are useful for fellow academics who want to understand and build upon your work. These can include research data, code, and lab notes. Many of these can be published on our Emerald Open Research platform.
Why is open research important?
- Makes science more widely available – reaches new audiences, helps developing countries, etc.
- Supports accountability – researchers, funders and institutions are under pressure to share results funded by taxpayer money and show that money has been spent wisely. Increasing funder mandates around this, etc.
- It's reshaping the way researchers communicate and collaborate, advancing the pace and quality of discovery.
- Helps with research integrity and reproducibility. And it’s more economical as methods can be reused.
Routes to open research
We provide a wide range of options, from traditional routes such as our open journals and books, to our innovative open research platform. So the choice is yours – whichever route you choose, you’ll be assured of discoverability, impact and openness for all.
All our journals offer gold open access through the hybrid option. We also publish have a growing number of fully open access journals that offer gold and platinum open access where the author doesn't pay an APC.
We offer open access across all our book formats, whether you want to publish a chapter, a monograph, short-form book or a handbook, we have options for all.
Emerald Open Research
Our Open Research platform offers a range of content types, across six gateways aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals allowing you to contribute to societal challenges.
Open research policies
Find out about our gold and green open access policies, processing charges and licensing.
Open access publishing agreements
A number of organisations have established partnerships with us to cover the cost of an agreed number of gold open access articles or agreed a discount for their regions. Find out more
Got a question?
Visit our open research FAQs, where we have answered some frequently asked questions about open research.