Editorship Opportunity – On the Horizon
Emerald Publishing invites applications for the position of Editor (or Co-Editors as part of a joint team application) for the educational futures journal, On The Horizon (https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/journal/oth).
About On the Horizon
On the Horizon is a strategic planning resource for decision makers in the public and private sector and in particular education policy makers, administrators, practitioners, and researchers in post-secondary and lifelong learning worldwide.
The journal focuses on the increasingly complex intersection of forces that are impinging on education and learning and to which educators, human resource professionals and all committed to human potential must respond.
An international journal, On the Horizon also explores the issues that are emerging as technology changes the nature of education and learning within and among institutions, other organizations, and across geo-political boundaries, as learning increasingly takes place outside of the traditional institutional environment.
Areas of coverage include:
- The changing needs of an increasingly global society
- The economics and business of education delivery
- Changing policies and practices affecting curriculum content
- Certification and intellectual property
- Rules and regulations governing institutions
On the Horizon pursues its mission by occasionally publishing special issues on critical trends and topics, drawing upon thought leaders from policy analysis, futures research, and academic scholarship, and solicits innovative concepts and creative ideas that challenge conventional wisdom.
Some of the key qualities sought for the position of Editor are an established record of scholarship in the field; previous experience in an editorial role (i.e. journals, special issues, book volumes) managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle and meet deadlines; a willingness to work closely and collaboratively with the journal Publisher; the ability to inspire an active Editorial Advisory Board; along with an appreciation of the journal’s editorial objective to publish high quality research.
Main responsibilities include:
- Management of the editorial office via the online submission tool ScholarOne (full training will be provided)
- Soliciting high quality manuscripts and assisting authors through the editorial process when required
- Initial screening of submissions and the management of a double-blind peer review process
- Selecting a pool of suitable reviewers
- Supplying accepted articles to the Publisher; working within the agreed schedule
- Working with and managing the contribution of the Editorial Advisory Board and reviewer pool
- Advising Emerald on the direction and development of the journal
- Promoting the journal to your networks and at conferences to encourage authorship and usage.
An editorial honorarium will be provided by the Publisher.
Please send applications via email to the Publisher, Sharon Parkinson [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed by the Publisher and the current editorial team and should include:
- A covering letter outlining your previous editorial experience, your vision for the future development of the journal and an outline of any support that may be offered by your institution for this Editorship role.
- A current CV.
Applications from individual Editors or Editorial teams (i.e. Co-Editors) will be considered.
Closing date for applications is: 31st October 2020.
The role commences in January 2021.
If you have any questions or would like to have an informal chat to find out more information about the role, please contact Sharon Parkinson ([email protected])