Sharing Economy: Pathway to Sustainability?
Call for papers for: Management of Environmental Quality
In recent times, the challenges of climate change and increasing price of resources have promoted enterprises based on the philosophy of sharing economy, linked to accessing rather than acquiring and consuming resources. This has prompted more efficient use of resources while also keeping low levels of consumption, with the intention of increasing environmental protection and decreasing the costs for consumers. Previous research has shown how the sharing economy business model can be applied to sectors including housing, mobility or transport, machine tool use, public spaces, etc. to support the expansion of the sharing economy.
The list of motivational factors in businesses adopting a sharing economy over a traditional model ranges from ideological reasons such as environmental concern, transparency, collaboration etc. to economic reasons such as economy of scale, financial risk, crowdfunding etc. However, the dilemma remains, ‘How sustainable is the sharing economy?’. There are several barriers in the acceptance and growth of sharing economy based business models. Specifically, the rebound effect of sharing economy: if increased revenue caused by the sale of a household’s used items is then used to buy new goods, does this render the previous positive environmental impact null?
This special issue of Management of Environmental Quality will seek to examine of aspects of the sharing economy, and the impacts it can have on business and the environment. All papers submitted should be on original research addressing issues related to the theme of the special issue, and also fall within the scope of the journal. Therefore, we invite high-quality original papers that address – but are not limited to – the following topics:
- The mechanism of sharing economy in environmental management/environmental protection
- Environmental performance evaluation of sharing economy
- Policy analysis for environmental management in sharing economy.
- The promoting role of sharing economy in green consumption
- Green operations management in sharing economy
- Residence environmental behaviour analysis and prediction in sharing economy
- Emission reduction effect of sharing economy
- The role of ICT in sharing economy in improving environmental management
- Dynamic resource allocation for environmental management under the innovation of shared economic model
Submission deadline: March 31, 2020
Dr. Sandeep Kumar Gupta
School of Management and Entrepreneurship Shiv Nadar University
Dr. Shivam Gupta
Montpellier Business School
Dr. Uthayasankar Sivarajah
Faculty of Management, Law and Social Sciences
University of Bradford, UK