Emerald/HETL Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards
2020 Emerald/HETL Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards International recognition and cash prize for doctoral research in education
We’re delighted to have partnered with the Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association (HETL) to offer a grant award for doctoral research in the field of education. The winner will receive a £500 cash prize, registration to a HETL conference where they will have the option to present their paper, and one free copy of an Emerald/HETL book.
We’re offering a cash prizes of £500 for the best doctoral research from the last four years in the areas of education, including:
See Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education (JARHE) for topic examples.
You don’t need to submit your full thesis to enter, but you need to succinctly summarise the most important parts of your research.
Entries will be judged the JARHE Senior Editors and Editorial Advisory Board as well as the HETL Research and Innovation Advisory Board. If you’ve completed your doctorate within the last four years, apply now!
The winner will receive a cash prize of £500, an award certificate, free registration to a HETL conference where they will have the option to present their paper, and one free copy of an Emerald/HETL book. In addition to the research award it is also hoped that the findings of the research can be published in the Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education (JARHE). Up to two Highly Commended Awards will be given where winners will receive an award certificate and one free copy of an Emerald/HETL book.
- You must apply online using the application form.
- The following documents will be required electronically:
- Covering letter: as part of this please state whether or not your doctoral research has been published and/or will be published in any form (conference paper, article, peer reviewed journal, etc)
- Executive Summary: paper that summarises the doctoral research. The Executive Summary should not exceed 2,000 words (reference lists and presentation of data, as neither tables nor figures count towards this total). Please download the Executive Summary template.
- Letter of recommendation/reference from a supervisor/senior faculty member: the letter should state why your supervisor feels that your work is outstanding and what impact it will have. For shortlisted applicants, further contact may be made with the referee.
- The closing date for applications is 15th March 2020
- Winners will be announced in July 2020
The competition is open to anyone who has completed, or will complete, their doctorate between 1 October 2016 and 1 March 2020.
The entries will be judged by a panel of experts chosen from the JARHE Senior Editors and Editorial Advisory Board as well as the HETL Research and Innovation Advisory Board. Entries are judged on the following criteria:
- Significance/implications for theory, practice, and policy.
- Originality, innovation, and potential impact.
- Appropriateness, application, and rigor of methodology.
- Quality of data collection/analysis and research findings.
- What category should I submit to?
Click the link of the sponsoring journal in your subject area to find out if the scope of the journal matches your research. You may find that you research can fit into more than one category. In this case please send a summary of your research to the publisher of the potential journals who will advise you as to whether your research is suitable for their category.
- Do I need to submit my full thesis?
No. You do not need to submit your full thesis. The judges’ decision will be based on your ability to succinctly summarise the most important parts of your research in relation to the judging criteria.
- Am I eligible to apply if my thesis is not in English?
Yes. You can apply provided that your application, cover letter, summary and reference letter are all in English.
- Am I eligible to apply if my viva data is scheduled for after 1st March 2020?
No. However, this is an annual award and you can apply next year. Please e-mail Lynsey Henshall if you want to be notified when the 2021 award opens for submissions.
- I have already published a paper based on my research. Am I still eligible to apply?
Yes. You can apply whether or not you have published a paper from your doctoral research. If you have published, please provide details in your Covering Letter.
- What should I include in my “Covering Letter”?
- Statements as to why your research fits with the category you have chosen.
- Brief details of why your research is outstanding.
- Details of any papers published or presented based on your thesis research, if applicable.
- Any applications in practice, if applicable.
- Any other information of relevance to the application.
- What shall I include in my “Executive Summary”?
Please refer to the template.
- What should be included in the “Letter of recommendation/reference from a supervisor/senior faculty member”?
NB This should be from your doctoral supervisor, or any member of the committee / judging panel deciding on your thesis, depending on how your doctorate is conferred in your country or university.
It should answer the following three questions:
- What is outstanding about the thesis?
- What is the substantive contribution to the field?
- Is the data of good quality and how difficult was it to obtain?
Short-listed applicants may be required to answer further questions as appropriate from the judging panel. If suitable, winners will be invited by the editor to submit a paper, sole or co-authored, from their research within six months of winning.
The competition is open to anyone who has completed, or will complete, their doctorate between 1 October 2016 and 1 March 2020. Please note that the decision of the judges is final.
E-mail: [email protected]
We also have awards for...
Real Impact Awards
Celebrating the commitment to impact by the research community across the globe.
Interdisciplinary Research Fund Award
Supporting researchers with IDR that makes an impact.
Emerald Literati Awards
Celebrating high quality scholarly research.
Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards
Supporting the global research community through our awards programme.
Emerging Markets Case Studies Competitions
Emerald partners with a range of organisations to offer case writing competitions.
Regional Research Fund Awards
Proud to sponsor many research funding initiatives throughout the world.